Thursday, August 14, 2014

Industrial Style Sideboard Table

Ordered 72 board feet of 16ft. long 5/4 basswood.
Four feet of it rode inside the truck with me and about three feet stuck out the back.
 Back at the shop, I sized and sanded every board into 8ft. planks.
 I scarred, mangled, beat, and gouged the boards before randomly applying an aging solution I make myself organically (I won't say what is in it exactly).
 After the aging solution and a light coat of stain was applied.
You can see some of the distress marks, but not in much detail.
 I used my own staining technique to accent certain spots and mixed up a tinted carnauba wax at this point.

 After shading, before waxing:
 After one coat of melted wax:
 This shot shows a better representation of the distress and color shading I used:
 Steel bands inset/inlaid on the bottom of the base, and solid steel caster wheels installed.
The center shelf also has six inlaid steel bands, while the top shelf has ten of them.
I finished the bottom of each shelf a little darker than the top intentionally for shadowing from overhead lighting.
 21ft. stick of 3/4" I.D. x 1" O.D. black steel pipe.
 Sectioning of pipe into twelve pieces.
 The pipe legs cut and beveled, ready for the flanges to be welded on and installed to build the table.

I wanted to do an authentic, hand-made pipe flange instead of just buying some off the shelf, so I drilled twenty-four flanges on the drill press. The one I am holding without the holes around the perimeter is how each of those began their life.
 Each end of the pipe has a flange welded to it.
 This is the jig I built to hold everything within the right tolerances and completely square to weld the interior of the pipes to each flange.
 After assembly:
 Zinc-coated screws to complete the look:
 The finished product stands:
8ft. Long
3ft. High
16in. Deep
There are solid steel casters underneath so it can be easily moved.
This piece was commissioned by Red House Global Brand Architects in Alpharetta, Georgia.

Contact information and inquiries:

No comments:

Post a Comment